Government Flood Support & Grants for Homeowners and Businesses



As a result of flooding over the last four years (2013-2016), the government has announced various schemes to help those homeowners and businesses that have been affected. These schemes generally fund flood resilience or flood resistance measures.


What does this mean if I am a business / householder?

Businesses or homeowners that have been flooded should contact their local authority to find out what next steps they need to take.

You can find contact and website details for all local authorities on GOV.UK.


More information on specific councils is below:

Redcar & Cleveland (The UKFDA has provided flood defence products for more than x properties)

Cumbria (The UKFDA is supporting Carlisle City Council and property owners throughout Cumbria)



North Yorkshire


What does my property need?

Homeowners and businesses can obtain a tailored report on the type of flood resilience measures that might be appropriate for their property which will give guidance on the kind of measures that might need to be fitted and their likely cost by completing a simple form.


How much grant will be available?

Grants of up to £5,000 are available, depending on whether sufficient appropriate resilience measures can be put in place. The grants will be payable to the person responsible for the fabric of the property, normally the property owner.

Local authorities are encouraged to facilitate individuals and businesses, if they wish to, pooling their grants in order to carry out community level flood protection and resilience work where appropriate.


What can the grant be spent on?

Grants are not intended to cover standard repairs or to provide compensation. They must be used only for improvements to the fabric of the premises that would have the effect of reducing the impact and cost of subsequent flooding on the property.


More information

See detailed guidance for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

Write a Comment